Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fighting Cancer Inc.

Let me introduce you to Sharon Grammer, one of the most amazing women I know.  I was told when I was diagnosed with cancer I would meet people that would become life long friends.  I don't know if I believed that at the time.  But I do now!

I met Sharon my first day of Chemo.  What a scary day for me!  Quite frankly, it was the scariest day of my life.  Now, I think it is important to show God's magic in all of this.  I don't remember if it was days or weeks before, but one of my husband's co-workers mentioned Sharon and her 'sunshine boxes'.  He said his girlfriend knew her and would pass my name along if we wanted.  We didn't quite understand it all, but agreed.  We thought, if anything, someone else would be praying for us. 

WOW, we had no idea!

The morning of my 1st chemo, we got off the elevator and there was Sharon and Ileana, the girlfriend of my husband's co-worker.  They were standing in the waiting room with a bright red bag and smiles that warmed my heart.  I started to cry because it was just a moment of good.  A moment of kindness.  A moment of God.  She gave me a crocheted throw someone had made while praying for me and JJ.  I was overwhelmed with love.  I mean, to think...someone I did not know and would probably never meet thought enough of me, to not only pray for me, but make something to comfort me and keep me warm with love and prayers throughout my scary day...and days to come.  Sharon then presented me with my 'sunshine box'.  She gave me the rules...open one a day to bring a ray of sunshine to each day.  I did exactly that and it was a moment I looked forward to each day! 

Sharon and I have stayed in touch and we are hoping the Lord will lead us in starting an evening support group for women facing or who have faced a gynecological cancer.  I know God brought us together for a greater plan and I am excited to see it unfold.

Take a look at her web-site and see everything she has going on.  She is always looking for volunteers to wrap for the sunshine boxes and even volunteers to help with delivery.  They appreciate donations towards the sunshine box or donations for their annual yard sale that funds most of what they do.  www.fightingcancerinc.org

Her latest accomplishment...calendar girl!  Pick up a calendar at the Presbyterian Cancer Center or Buddy Kemp Caring House.  And look for this face...


1 comment:

  1. that's my mom!!!! :) What a wonderful blog :) I am saving this as a momento. I know she truly values you, Shannon! She talks about you often.

    ReplyDelete